Sunday, November 30, 2008

Merrily Christmas.

"She's non-stop, isn't she?" A man commented as I swiftly took his plates, flashed a smile, and rushed off to the kitchen. I was able to catch a last glimpse of his conversation before I freed my arms of dirty dishes, and loading them up again with fresh, delectable food for the next table. "A constant hard-worker, alright," The other man agreed.

Inside, I laughed at his remark, though I could see where he was coming from. As I set the dishes on a table of hungry friends, I was off to yet another table, asking their preference of drink. But it felt good to be constantly working. I knew in my heart that the purpose of this night was to serve, and serve only. However, I could come up with a better reason to throw myself into smaller jobs, partially lightening the load of other's service needs. Being idle gave me time to think, and that was something that I really was not up for.

The constant chatter by peers overthrew me, distractions that would overwhelm me, and envelope my mind in some sort of distraught need to be in their position. Footfalls from behind me scared me, raising hope of someone I would actually want to see, someone who could take me and erase the lingering thoughts that constantly reminded me of my downfalls, compared to everyone else. I knew that keeping my mind on the job would allow me to have myself distracted, and purposefully swerved through cramped spaces to serve, clean; so that everything would be focused on the guest's satisfaction.

And I suppose it worked. The thoughts were unavoidable, but they did not expand, and they were not further analysed as I sung gospel whilst making my way through tables, chairs, and 5 second conversations that I'd wished could have lasted for ages had I not whisked away. At least it was never awkward with them. There would have been a lot of things that I'd regret, not talking more, as I slowly realised the amount that I'd missed them. But there were other times. And this was the one night that focused on the joy and contentment of all guess attending a God-glorified Christmas Dinner. Praise God for a successful and beautifully fun evening.

Furthermore, I thank God that He allowed me to constant working where I could have been crushed due to envy, pride, and selfishness. And that any sign of that, though led to stress, was overall extinguished as I sang praise.

Good God, good night.

LOL, Sarah.

1 comment:

ghost said...

Your entries... are epic bananas.
I feel as though I haven't commented you in a while.

"Being idle gave me time to think, and that was something that I really was not up for."
That being the most truest (if that's a word) sentence I've heard in a long time.
:)