Sunday, January 4, 2009

Smile, Boy.

I closed my eyes as I let the breeze whip through my hair. The sun had just set, and the wind sent chills through my body. A single street lamp desperately flickered on and off, trying to maintain a constant spot of light to ward off the lingering darkness. Trees created threatening shadows, attempting to envelop me with the unpredictable dark. They shook malevolently as another gush of wind sent goosebumps to my bare skin.

The flow was constant; this was it. I smiled, and allowed the wind to take control. My mind instantaneously flashed incoherent thoughts; I mistrusted, misjudged, doubted, the pictures in my head lit up like bright fireflies in the dusk, screaming an alarming case of danger. Adrenaline shot through my body, urging my muscles to tense up and catch myself, yet I maintained a fluid motion; I continued to fall backwards. But for a split second, I almost fought for my life.

Maybe you wouldn't catch me at all; maybe you'd let me fall this time around. Maybe you'd already gone... you'd already left me without warning. Maybe you would break your promise again after all.

My eyes shot open in horror, and all the muscles in my body tensed instantly, but I was too far back, and my legs already gave way. I opened my mouth to scream, but it was replaced with a muffled "oof" as my head and your chest collided, followed by the rest of me, which would have almost left us in a messed up heap had you not maintained a firm stance. You caught my arms with your own, and quickly wrapped our limbs around my waist to keep me steady. You immediately stepped forward, straightening me up to help me stand steadily on my feet. My legs wavered, and I almost fell right through your arms; you caught me again, and I was only inches away from having a bruised bottom. Just as I tried to stand, you released your hold, and I fell to the ground with a loud thud. The crickets nearby deadened their chirps to leave a short moment of mocking silence as I groaned at the bruising pain that you caused.

You chuckled, and walked around to face me, towering over me like a giant with the intention of crushing me. You were barely recognisable in the dark, but your eyes glittered cheekily, and your lips curved into a faint smile as you stuck your hand in front of my face. I refused your offer, hiding my shaky hands as I pushed myself up to meet him at eye level.

I stared deep into your magnificently bright eyes for a moment; and you did the same. Eventually, you lost your smile, and your eyes lost their shine. I continued to search your eyes for a short while longer, before cocking my head to the side and furrowing my eyebrows.

Smile, boy.

I squeezed your cheeks, then forced a smile onto your face. You bared your teeth unwillingly, and purposely sprayed my face as you laughed at me again. I flinched away from your saliva,, and threw a sharp glare are you. But I quickly joined in your laughter; my hands left your cheeks as you learned to smile without my handicap, and flung my arms around your neck. As if on impulse, you responded instantly, wrapping your arms around my waist; we pulled each other close into a tight hug. You chuckled as you lifted me off the ground, and I gasped as you left me hovering for a few seconds, before giving me control of my legs again. A sharp breeze splintered through my flannel shirt, and I buried my face into your chest again for warmth, giggling as I did.

At least for tonight, we're okay. At least I knew that we weren't turning away from each other, if anything.

---

Woot! Finally! Another story! I'm soo happy. Haha. It's so dramatic, but I put in a lot of time and effort into it. ;) I wanted to make it good.

And yeah, I do love you. I kind of think you're ace.

LOL, Sarah.

No comments: