Monday, October 13, 2008

Sleepless Night.

I sat so still, so emotionless; besides my eyes, which welled up with dirty tears. I felt so empty of liquid, so dry; it was as if someone had sucked all the water out of my body, taking care to make sure there was no way I could regain it.

I drank glass after glass of water, and lay back in bed. But sleep would still not come. I was awake for so long, and my body began to reject the water that I had only just consumed. Heat surged through my body; any single movement caused my body to begin sweating. I was uncomfortable where I lay, but I would not move. I was almost frozen with fear. My body's temperature continued to rise, as tears flowed down awkwardly by the side of my face.

I could barely manage to whisper, "God, I'm scared, God, give me peace, God, give me sleep, God what is wrong with me," all under one breath; I whimpered and squeezed my eyes shut, in hope to rid myself of my consciousness.

The alarm went off three times, and the light was switched on. I lay in the same position, but managed to cover my face with the untidy pile of blankets that I usually slept with. My body temperature was not cooling down at all, and I dreamt; I wished that someone would come into my room. I wished so much, I almost cried for someone to brush their cool fingers across my forehead and down my cheek, their croaky voice managing to make out some form of "It's going to be okay".

Thoughts ran through my head. Thoughts of not understanding, thoughts of restlessness, thoughts of being attacked. I hugged myself tighter, and my breaths were unnaturally shortened; I could almost not feel myself breathing anymore. Upon breaking a sweat, I pushed the blankets of my face. My head was throbbing. I stifled a sniff when the light was switched off again, and the front door swung open and closed.

My temperature was still warmer than usual, but sleep was finally coming to me. But now I needed to stay awake, or evidence of my sleepless night would be too obvious.

~~~

I could only so much as rest as soon as I first got into bed at about 12; and it's not until about now where I might actually be able to sleep.

I'm still scared, and my body's temperature is still quite high, but at least I'll manage to get about 2 hours of sleep.

"Thank you God for Your peace".

Sarah.

No comments: