Saturday, December 13, 2008

Love, actually.

We lay in the middle of the park, beside a small water fountain which glinted the stars and moon's reflection in its dribbles of water travelling down its figure. Your hand lay on top of mine, but we didn't fasten our grip on each other. And that was nice.

After a peaceful minute of silence gazing at the stars together, I heard the grass shift and flick as you turned your head towards mine. In response, I turned to look at you also. You smiled lazily, and closed your eyes for a bit.

"Babe," you whispered, "why do you love me?" You opened your eyes, and focused on mine. Your eyes glimmered against the moon, but stared into mine, trying to see through what I thought were dull patches of brown inset my plain face. I furrowed my eyebrows in shock, but I already knew the answer.

"I love you, hun, because you're not me," I replied. "You're nothing like me. You're the opposite of me, yet you accept me for who I am, for my abnormalities, and you complete me".

"Ah," You breathed gently, closing your eyes, and turning back to the stars, which seemed to be taken for granted now that we'd stopped gazing at them. I continued to stare at you, waiting for your answer.

But you didn't answer. Your eyes kept shut, and you smiled, as if you'd felt my eyes piercing its way into your mind, searching for what you would say next. You still didn't speak, and I'd realised that you wouldn't unless I spoke first.

"Then..." My voice was slow and unsteady, trying to pick the right words to say. "Why then, do you love me?" I waited for you to turn your head again, so you could answer my question directly.

"Well..." Your voice was sweet in the midnight breeze, which quickly caught your voice and carried it along with the wind, sending me shivers down my spine. You propped yourself up onto your elbow, leaving my hand empty, and gazed into my eyes with a serious face, searching for a weak point. I flinched a small bit, but I kept a composed face as you appraised my expression.

"I love you, baby, because you are you. Because you aren't anybody else, and you don't try to be anyone else. You strive for a better you, but you don't change who you are when you fix yourself. That's why I love you." He continued to stare at my astonished expression, and suddenly burst into laughter, laying back down on the grass and redeeming the space in my hand with your own. You turned your hand and intertwined your fingers with mine, and you squeezed my hand for one second, then releasing your grip again, and resumed your original place of the back of your hand in the palm of mine.

---

I had a lot of time to think.

Christmas in 12 days!

LOL, Sarah.

No comments: