Sunday, July 25, 2010

Alleviated Assent.

It's little things that I remember, and thus it's also the little things that hurt.

To remember the thinly veiled insults exchanged behind eloquent words and fine phrases; the passionate singing along to such sweet music from the top of our lungs; the witty, and sometimes sarcastic jokes shared and understood only by us; how we dared not embrace, and yet somehow I feel that we knew just how much we meant to each other...

I remember your laugh, and vaguely, yet quite distinctly, the sound of your voice as you sung for me for the first time ever in front of an audience of two; at least you still have one of that audience, huh? And I'm glad it's one of the people I trust most, because I know that you're still in good hands.

And so we tackled the first hurdle, head first... we both got hurt, I suppose, but we recovered quickly and ran side-by-side for a while longer... or for as long as one of us could last. But I just couldn't keep up with you over the next hurdle; I was knocked down, and you just had to leave me behind, because I slowed you down enough already.

It was an awkward goodbye... surely I'd see you down the track, but we had our own journeys now. Our paths ended then and there on that one hurdle that tripped me over, and I just could not run with you any longer.

But I'm thankful that you didn't slow down, and that you didn't try to ease the pain that I'd consequently felt from this. I'm thankful that we grew apart. Because now you really can move on, with no hindrances, with nothing that holds you back. You're running the race, and you can run it with all your might now, and with complete concentration. Your next hurdles may be higher, but you've got no one pulling you down when you attempt to jump over it.

As for me, I'm so much stronger that I've ever been. The pain singed at me for a while, a long while, I'll admit, but because I wasn't strong enough. But now I'm just thankful that you were there to run that race with me. And when the road got thinner, and the path got steeper, I can only conclude that this was the best decision we've made. The race that you're running just isn't mine to run, and neither is my race yours.

I'm a little sad, but my heart abounds in joy and in peace - because I know that you're making your ways well. I too, am doing so, and if you wanted to know, I'm doing great. I really am. I've learnt a lot from you, and I just wanted to say how great it was to have you as one of my best friends, even if it was only for a little while.

Thank you, friend. You've meant so much to me. Maybe you can't look at me the same, but I still hold you up with great respect and affection for you. I only wish for you the best from now on.

Lots Of Love,
Sarah.

No comments: