Monday, March 1, 2010

Polaroids and Cassettes.

If I had a camera in my eye,
That could develop all my past memories into treasured videos and Polaroids,
I would capture the world's beauty;
The dew drizzled rose, a budding flower's unfurl.
The smile of innocence will remain forever,
Remained untainted,
Unstained by experience.

----
(Alternate/Long version)

If I had a camera in my eye,
Would I capture the world as I saw it,
Or rather, as I willed it to be?
A world full of hope,
Where flowers still blossom and children still laugh,
With no restrain?
Or would I capture the heaving sighs of the weeping willows,
Truly weeping now that they lie there,
Weathered, old and dying?

--
The earth's breath choked by the very hands of men,
Skyscrapers grow larger than the sky itself,
And the oceans of blue become muddy blacks.
Perhaps I could show people what the world is truly like, or only that reality is what they themselves perceive it to be...

-
Perhaps we can finally grasp the once-in-a-lifetime shots
And place them in neat little photo frames in the back of our minds
Never forgotten, never forsaken.

But all of a sudden, there is no such thing called a once-in-a-lifetime shot.
Breathtaking moments would be but reduced to mere sights,
Sights seen a million times on end,
Seen by everyone,
Over and over again.

"Once-in-a-lifetime"
too quickly becomes
"I've-seen-it-before"
and
"That's-average".
And what then will be beauty?

And those moments of unimpeded laughter,
What of them?
Will they be but muscles that stretch bright lips to reveal a line of brilliant whites,
And a distant echo;
Remembered, but in turn,
Long forgotten?

--
I would be blind with pretty pictures and non-existent smiles,
Curtaining my present sufferings in the diminutive hope that maybe it will pass when I open my eyes again...

My film will be overwritten with the unwanted reality that we all must inevitably face, but our memories have only left us unfit and unequipped for the trials ahead.

---
We will convince that our past is better than our present, and our memories are the only things that keep us alive. That our happiness stems from our childhood, not from our present tribulations, and this is why we wish our eyes were cameras that took snapshots of the best moments of our lives.
And unfortunately we will neglect our sadness, hardships and adversity... But if we do not know sadness, how can we know to be thankful for our happyness?

If my eye were more the camera, I would be less the human, destitute of memories past and memoirs present; forbidden to the joy and the hope of the future.

LOL, Sarah.
You've become so frigid... have you lost your fiery passion that once burned so fervently deep inside?

No comments: